poniedziałek, 29 sierpnia 2011

Ubuntu: importing Cisco VPN Client connections to vpnc (network manager)

Today I had to connect to my company's network via VPN and all I had from my windows workstation were the definition of the Cisco VPN Client connections in the .pcf format. Below I describe the steps to import these definitions into the network manager (vpnc).

  1. In the network-manager click on the VPN connections option 
  2. You should see a window with a list of configured VPN connections and there should be a button 'Import' to import an existing definition, e.g. in .pcf format
  3. Choose the .pcf file and the new connection shall be available

Problems



  1. vpnc plugin for network-manager - Please check if you have network-manager-vpnc package installed - which brings the plugin for the vpnc into the network manager. Otherwise you will face strange looking errors during import: Error: unknown PPTP file extension.
  2. Missing description - although I have not encountered this problem I found it in some articles on the internet and decided to mention it here. It concerns network-manager-vpnc versions below 0.7.1 - and it occurs when the .pcf file lacks the Description variable in the [main] section
  3. Routing configuration - please check if the routing is properly configured. In my case I had to define additional routes to company's servers which is not difficult and can be done either via script or via GUI - when you edit your VPN connection it is located in the IPv4 settings and routes (screenshot of the window can be found below)



Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz