wtorek, 30 sierpnia 2011

Linux: Bootable USB stick with FreeDOS for upgrading BIOS

Today I was to upgrade a BIOS on one of the laptops (Dell Latitude E5400) that was running Linux Mint 11 distro. I downloaded a single .exe (in fact E5400A16.EXE - E5400 standing for the model, A16 for the version) file from the manufacturer (Dell) website which was to be used together with the bootable floppy. The main problem with that approach was that I did not have a floppy drive (which is not surprising as most of the current laptops do not have a floppy drive) so I had to find an alternative solution. The best idea for me was to create a bootable USB stick with FreeDOS under Linux, which is not that difficult since there is a great wiki that one can use to do it: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/FreeDOS_Flash_Drive. I followed the guidelines with one exception namely that I used gparted for partitioning and formating the USB stick (below one can find the guidelines how to do it on Linux Mint 11 distro):
  1. If not already available install gparted from the repo:
    # sudo apt-get install gparted
  2. Start the gparted:
    # gparted
  3. Choose the device corresponding to you USB stick in the main menu gparted->devices - in my case it was /dev/sdb
  4. Remove any partitions if there are any
  5. Create a new partition table: Device->Create Partition Table
  6. Create a new partition: Partition->New and choose fat16 as the filesystem
  7. Format partition with fat16 filesystem: Partition->Format To
  8. Commit all operations: Edit->Apply all operations
  9. Exit gparted and follow guidelines from the wiki starting with the FreeDOS (next MBR, Last Touch etc.)
I hope that the reader will find these information helpful

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz