czwartek, 2 kwietnia 2009

First entry - general

I created this blog in order to collect all the experiences and solutions to the problems encountered while using FreeBSD on my desktop (FSC SCENIC W600). Why FreeBSD? A good question, at work I mostly work on Solaris and I had installed it at home as well. However in my opinion Solaris is not suited for desktops for several reasons like: small number of drivers for x86 commonly used devices, no support for WPA (WLAN) for network connection. So my natural, next choice was OpenSolaris, however the installation DVD (Nevada snv_107) hang up right after presenting the kernel information (probably because of the problem with ACPI). In such case I decided not to continue with OpenSolaris and wait for a more reliable version of the system. So I looked in the Internet for another system and found FreeBSD. What I liked from the beginning is the linux binary compatibility feature (which significantly increases the number of applications that could run on the system), support for all the devices that I have in PC, support for WPA/WPA2 and some other cool features like dtrace. Having this in mind I decided to check if that is really true...

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz